You bought your new lizard, but haven’t been able to settle on lizard names, just yet? Lots of places online offer ideas to call your cold-blooded pet, for the sake of just giving it a name. We’d rather give you a carefully curated selection of good names for lizards, and maybe tell you their own stories to help you pick.
Editor’s Note: “Eddie Lizard” has been done to death, and who knows what’s the Geico lizard’s name anyway? (The Geico lizard’s name is “Martin.”)
31 Famous Lizards
Lizards are great pets, but they don’t get as much screen time as cats or dogs. Still, a few famous lizards have bucked all the odds to become stars.
Lizards on Screen
While Disney generally prefers its sidekicks adorable and furry, we’ve seen a few cute lizards in Disney productions.
- Bruni, an adorable salamander (Frozen 2, 2019)
- Pascal, a feisty chameleon (Tangled, 2011)
- Bill the Lizard, a Cockney lizard (Alice in Wonderland, 1951: The Great Mouse Detective, 1986)
- Joanna the Goanna, a monitor lizard (The Rescuers Down Under, 1990)
- Mrs. Kipling, Ravi Ross’s pet monitor (Jessie, 2011-2015)
- Frank, the male Asian water monitor who plays Mrs. Kipling
- Randall Boggs, a mad scientist lizard (Monsters, Inc., 2001)
- Echidna, mother of monsters (Hercules: the Animated Series, 1998-1999)
- Professor Knight, Scaring 101 teacher (Monsters University, 2013)
- Gaspar le Gecko, an entrepreneurial gecko (Brandy and Mr. Whiskers, 2004-2006)
Though it wasn’t a Disney production, the 2011 film Rango gave us a few leading lizards.
- Rango, Johnny Depp’s chameleon hero
- Beans, a female desert iguana
- Bad Bill, a Gila monster gunslinger
- Waffles, a horned lizard
Video Game Lizards
It’s not hard to find lizards in video games. Here are some reptiles you’ve probably come across while gaming.
- Yoshi (Super Mario franchise)
- Nat (Animal Crossing)
- Flick (Animal Crossing New Horizons)
- Komodo Joe and Komodo Moe (Crash Bandicoot)
- Dimitri (Sly Cooper)
- Espio the Chameleon (Sonic)
- Bouncelisk (Super Mario Brothers)
- Francis (Super Paper Mario)
- Geckit (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars)
- Alphys (Undertale)
- Gex (Gex)
Many Pokemons are based (more or less) on real animals, including these lizards.
- Grovyle, and
- Sceptile (Leaf-Tailed Geckos)
- Heliolisk (Frilled Lizard)
- Kecleon (Chameleon)
- Scraggy (Chuckwalla)
43 Mythological Dragon Names for Lizards
Whether you have a giant monitor lizard or a pinky-hugging gecko, there’s nothing cooler than a pet lizard named after a dragon. And because they play such a prominent role in folklore and mythology, there are lots of dragon names for lizards.
Asian Dragon Names for Lizards
Some famous dragons of Japanese mythology who might inspire lizard names include:
- Mizuchi, river dragons
- Orochi, a giant eight-headed dragon
- Nure-onna, a female vampire dragon
- Ryujin, a sea dragon
- Toyotama-hime, dragon grandmother of Japan’s first Emperor
- Kiyohime, a jilted woman who became a dragon
- Zennyo or Zentatsu, a female rain dragon
- Wani, a crocodile-like dragon
- Raiju, a thunder dragon
The Four Chinese Dragons of ancient Chinese cosmology are :
- Tianlong, the Celestial Dragon
- Fuzanglong, the Dragon of Hidden Treasure
- Dilong, the Earth Dragon
- Shenlong, the Spiritual Dragon.
Indian dragons you can draw on to name lizards include:
- Apalala, king of the Nagas
- Pakhangba, primordial dragon god honored in northeast India
- Vritra, dragon adversary of the god Indra
In the Philippines they tell stories of dragons like:
- Bakunawa, a moon-swallowing dragon
- Kanlaon, a dragon who once lived in the volcano of that name
- Samal Naga, a dragon who lives in the Milky Way.
Persian dragon folklore gives us cool lizard names from A to Z:
- Azhdaha, a gigantic rain-dragon
- Raiodhita, a red dragon
- Zahhak, a three-headed dragon
- Zairita, a yellow dragon
European Dragon Lizard Names
While dragons show up frequently in European folk legends, the knights who kill them rarely bother to ask for the fire-breathing lizard’s name. Still, the names of a few great European dragons have come down to us.
In the sagas of Northern Europe we find these names for lizards:
- Fafnir, a dwarf who became a dragon
- Nidhogg, a dragon who gnaws the roots of Yggdrasil the World-Tree
- Jormungandr, a great dragon/snake who encircles the world
If you want lizard names from ancient Greek mythology, try:
- Typhon, a giant dragon and the father of all monsters
- Ladon, dragon guardian of the golden apples of youth
- Hydra, a multi-headed dragon
- Ketos, dragon who wanted to eat Princess Andromeda
- Kykhreides, a dragon tamed by the goddess Demeter
Medieval French legends tell us of dragons that inspire terror, and some good lizard names.
- Tarasque, a marauding giant lizard tamed by St. Martha
- Guivre, an aggressive dragon lizard
- Vouivre, a beautiful female guivre
- Peluda, a dragon with pointy quills
- Tatzelwurm, a dragon found in the Alps
Other assorted European dragon names for lizards:
- Aitvaras, a Lithuanian bird-dragon
- Bolla, an Albanian dragon who only wakes up on St. George’s Day
- Ddraig, Welsh for “dragon”
- Fernigys, Hungarian king of dragons
- Knucker, a water dragon from Sussex, England
- Sárkány, Hungarian for “dragon”
- Wyvern, heraldic dragons with two legs and wings
79 Literary Dragons with Good Lizard Names
When it comes to names for lizards, there are many famous dragons found in literature whose names may be a good fit for your scaly new friend.
Dragons from J.R.R. Tolkien
Of course, we all know Smaug, but other dragons mentioned in Tolkien’s Legendarium include:
- Ancalagon the Black
- Scatha the Worm
George R.R. Martin Names for Lizards
In the Game of Thrones miniseries, we met Drogon, Rhaelar, and Viserion. But Martin’s written work (A Song of Ice and Fire) also lists the following dragons for those seeking badass lizard names:
If you need some female lizard names, she-dragons found in Westeros include:
Christopher Paolini Names for Lizards
Paolini’s Inheritance Cycle (starting with Eragon) has some exceptionally cool lizard names. The dragons of Alagaësia include:
- Saphira, a blue dragoness.
- Thorn, a red male
- Fírnen, a green male
- Shruikan, a black male
- Glaedr, a gold male
- Iormúngr, an ancient dragon
- Vervada, an ancient dragoness
- Raugmar the Black, Saphira’s ancestor
- Belgabad, a giant dragon
- Agaravel, a dragoness rescued from the evil Galbatorix
- Bid’Daum, a white male and the first tame dragon
- Eridor, a wild green dragon
- Cuaroc, a purple male
Anne McCaffrey Names for Lizards
Anne McCaffrey’s Dragonriders of Pern books are a beloved and enduring SF/Fantasy series, and one that is chock-full of cool lizard names like:
Disney Dragon Lizard Names
Disney Dragons you might look to for pet lizard names include:
- Blazey (Onward, 2020)
- Elliot (Pete’s Dragon, 1963/2006)
- Farfus (Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, 2021)
- Gwythaints (The Black Cauldron, 1985)
- Jabberwocky (Alice in Wonderland, 2010)
- Maleficent (Sleeping Beauty, 1959)
- Mushu (Mulan, 1998)
- Narissa, (Enchanted, 2007)
- Sisu (Raya and the Last Dragon, 2021)
- Tyrone (Legend of the Three Caballeros, 2018)
- Vermithrax Pejorative (Dragonslayer, 1981)
- Willawing (Sofia the First, 2013-2018)
How to Train Your Dragon Lizard Names
One favorite source for reptile names is the How to Train Your Dragon movie and television franchise, based on a popular series of books by British children’s book author Cressida Cowell. If you’re stuck for pet lizard names, here are some dragon names from the franchise.
- Barf & Belch
- Death Song
- Light Fury
- Night Terror
- Red Death
- Terrible Terror
- Whispering Death
Lizard Names FAQs
Who is the most famous YouTube lizard?
MacGyver the Lizard, an Argentine Red Tegu, has gained over 50,000 followers thanks to his intelligence, good nature, and willingness to come when called. MacGyver has inspired fan art, appeared in the New York Post, Buzzfeed, and other publications and even got a shout-out from Snoop Dogg.
Does the lizard in Frozen 2 has a name?
Bruni, the shy salamander of Disney’s 2019 Frozen 2, has inspired many pet owners wanting to name a lizard. While Bruni is supposed to be a salamander, the animators who designed him were clearly inspired by leopard geckos.
What is Rapunzel’s lizard’s name?
Pascal, Rapunzel’s feisty pet chameleon in Disney’s 2010 Tangled, has joined Thumper and Jiminy Cricket among Disney’s most beloved mascots. This color-changing little hero is especially popular with pet owners looking for cute lizard names.
Can lizards love their owners?
Lizards don’t bond with their owners the way dogs do, but many lizards definitely learn to recognize their keeper and tolerate or even welcome handling. That being said, some lizards never get used to being handled and will try to escape or bite every chance they get.
What is the Geico lizard’s name?
The charming, charismatic Geico lizard is named Martin, after the ad agency who created him. Martin was created after an executive noted that many people mispronounced Geico (“Guy-Koh”) as “gecko.” Since his 1999 introduction, Martin has become one of the advertising world’s most recognized spokeslizards.
What kind of gecko is the Geico lizard?
Martin the Geico lizard most closely resembles the Giant Day Gecko (Phelsuma madagascariensis grandis), but his species remains undetermined. Tokay Geckos are named for their barking call, so perhaps Martin is the Save 15% or More on Car Insurance Gecko.
What is the most intelligent lizard?
Monitor lizards are generally considered to be the smartest lizard and one of the smartest reptiles. Monitors have shown the ability to recognize their keepers and to count up to six in captivity. Tegus, their cousins, are also highly intelligent.
What is the genus and species of a lizard?
The genus describes the lizard’s family. For example, monitor lizards are members of the genus Varanus. The species tells us more about what type of monitor lizard we are dealing with, an Emerald Tree Monitor (Varanus prasinus) or Nile Monitor (Varanus nilotocus).
What is a baby lizard called?
Baby lizards are called hatchlings. While the majority of lizards lay eggs, there are a few lizards (mostly those in higher elevations and cooler climates) who give live birth. And there is at least one lizard, the Australian three-toed skink, that both lays eggs and gives live birth. But eggs or no eggs, baby lizards are called hatchlings anyway.
What is the scientific name for lizard?
Lacertilia (lacertilia), a suborder of Squamata (scaled reptiles), is divided into 27 different lizard families, with members ranging from the 13.5 mm (0.53 in) nanochamelon (Brookesia nana) to the Komodo Dragon (Varanus komodoensis), which can reach over 3 m (10 ft) long.